Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Getting back to business...

I've been away at a conference for the past 4 days. It was cold, wet and rainy. It was nice to get back into the greenhouses where its warm. I was very surprised at how much everything grew. I found this sign on the blackboard. It made my day. Thanks UTK recycling!
I really like finding bugs in and outside of the greenhouses. On every single fennel I saw yesterday, I saw this caterpillar.
It will turn into a beautiful swallowtail butterfly (Papilio zelicaon). 
Meanwhile, inside the greenhouses, there is an Illicium floridanum that is flowering.
As per the name, it a native to Florida.
Also flowering is this cactus. It smells mildly of rotting meat, especially at evening. The genus is Stapelia and the common name is Carrion Flower. The smell is to attract flies to pollinate the flowers. Gladly, there are no carrion flies in the greenhouse.
Lastly, you may have seen Nepenthes Pitcher plants, but have you ever seen their flowers? These ones are males.






No comments:

Post a Comment